Wisdom Tooth Removal in San Antonio
Wisdom teeth are the third and final set of molars that erupt in the late teens to early 20s. While some wisdom teeth grow normally aligned and cause no problems, most people need to have their wisdom teeth removed. At Henwood Family Dentistry in San Antonio, TX, we offer wisdom tooth removal to optimize long-term dental health.
Wisdom teeth often become impacted, erupt partially, or grow in at odd angles, causing pain and pushing against adjacent teeth. Impaction happens when the wisdom teeth do not have enough room to emerge properly due to insufficient jaw space. Partially impacted wisdom teeth that only partially break through the gums are especially prone to infections and decay because their hard-to-reach placement makes them difficult to clean. Even wisdom teeth that are fully erupted can be difficult to clean adequately and tend to decay and require removal. Removing problematic wisdom teeth proactively prevents many downstream dental issues.
What Are the Benefits of Wisdom Tooth Removal?
Some key advantages of wisdom tooth extraction include:
- Alleviation of Pain and Discomfort – Extracting impacted, partially erupted, or misaligned teeth eliminates associated discomfort, swelling, infections, and other symptoms. You can chew and speak normally again without irritation.
- Prevention of Overcrowding and Misalignment – With the obstruction of the wisdom teeth gone, the remaining teeth have enough space and don’t shift out of place or crowd each other. Proper alignment is maintained.
- Avoidance of Impacted Tooth Complications – Leaving impacted wisdom teeth in place long-term can damage adjacent teeth and lead to serious problems like cysts, tooth decay, gum inflammation, and gum disease over time as bacteria accumulate. Early removal prevents this.
- Reduction in Infection Risk – The hard-to-reach location and uneven surfaces of wisdom teeth provide an environment for bacteria to grow. This leads to frequent infections of the wisdom teeth and surrounding gums that often spread. Taking out wisdom teeth eliminates this recurring infection risk.
- Improved Oral Health and Hygiene – Eliminating tricky wisdom teeth in the back simplifies your ability to brush and floss your other teeth thoroughly for better overall oral hygiene.
Why Choose Henwood Family Dentistry for Wisdom Tooth Extraction?
Our dentists have advanced skills and experience performing wisdom tooth extractions comfortably and smoothly:
- Precise surgical techniques – We use proven methods and specialized instruments to extract wisdom teeth efficiently. This minimizes bone and tissue removal, discomfort, and recovery time.
- Advanced 3D imaging – Detailed imaging allow us to closely examine your anatomy and guide our surgical planning for the safest, least invasive wisdom tooth removal.
- Gentle touch – We take great care to administer anesthesia and manipulate tissues gently during procedures to keep you comfortable.
- Anesthesia options – General anesthesia and IV sedation are available if desired for anxiety and pain-free procedures.
- Smooth recovery – We provide complete post-op instructions and tips for medication, ice packs, dietary changes, oral hygiene, and other ways to quickly manage recovery symptoms.
- Oral Cancer Screenings
- Comprehensive Exams
- Root Canals
- Teeth Whitening
- Dental Implants
- Wisdom Tooth Removal
Schedule Your Wisdom Tooth Removal in San Antonio
If your wisdom teeth are impacted, only partially visible, misaligned, or causing any other problems, prompt removal by our dental professionals prevents extensive dental treatment later on. Call Henwood Family Dentistry to schedule your extraction.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why might I need my wisdom teeth removed?
Lack of space, impaction, misalignment, recurrent infections, and cavities around wisdom teeth often necessitate their removal.
What is the recovery process?
Soreness, swelling, and bruising may last a few days up to 2 weeks. We instruct you on medication, ice packs, dietary changes, and other ways to manage recovery symptoms.
Are there risks?
There are some risks including nerve damage, dry socket pain, and infection, but we take precautions to minimize any complications.
Take charge of your oral health and schedule necessary wisdom tooth removal. The dentists at Henwood Family Dentistry in San Antonio, TX provide safe, effective wisdom tooth extractions for optimal function and a healthy smile.
Whitening for life
Henwood Family Dentistry
9240 Guilbeau Rd Unit 128
San Antonio, TX 78250
Monday: 8am – 5pm
Tuesday: 8am – 5pm
Wednesday: 8am – 5pm
Thursday: 8am – 5pm
Friday – Sunday: Closed